If you have ever heard the rumor about a cockroach’s ability to withstand a nuclear blast, then you can probably guess that they are a difficult pest to kill. The German cockroach, in particular, is among the most resilient bugs in the insect world. One factor that gives these hard-shelled pests their un-killability is the speed at which they reproduce. For instance, a single German cockroach has the ability to spawn up to 50 nymphs (baby roaches). These eggs are then carried on the backs of females. On top of everything, roaches are adept hiders. All this combined makes for one hard-to-deal-with pest.
Other Roach Species and the Problems Roaches Bring to Egg Harbor Township homes
Other common types of cockroaches here in Egg Harbor Township, NJ include the American cockroach and the Oriental cockroach. Though slightly different from the German roach, all cockroaches generally share common threats they pose to your Egg Harbor Township home, pets, and family. Cockroaches have been implicated to carry and spread up to 33 different kinds of bacteria. This includes E. coli and Salmonella. Along with diseases, cockroaches have also been known to trigger asthma attacks and allergic reactions in humans. This is a result of their shed skin and feces.
How Roaches Get in, and Prevention Tips to Keep Them Out
There are several ways roaches can find their way into your Egg Harbor Township home. Typically they squeeze through cracks in your foundation, underneath exterior doors, or through cracks and spaces around windows. Another common way cockroaches get in is by Trojan horse-ing inside used appliances and furniture. Here are a few suggested measures you can take to keep roaches out.
- Equip all exterior doors with door sweeps.
- Locate and seal up gaps, cracks, or holes in your foundation, doors, and windows, using a caulking gun.
- If you soak dirty dishes in water, add some dish soap to deter roaches.
- Inspect used items before bringing them into your Egg Harbor Township home.
- Check for and remove water sources around your Egg Harbor Township home. This includes leaky pipes, faucets, and fixtures.
- Store food where roaches can’t access it, inside airtight containers.
- Set up dehumidifiers in particularly humid areas around your Egg Harbor Township home.
Why a Professional is Best
With any cockroach infestation, it is vitally important to have a professional assess and handle the situation, especially if you start seeing roaches out in broad daylight as this can be a sign of a massive infestation. Here at Superior Pest Solutions, we offer solutions tailor-made for your Egg Harbor Township home. Give Superior Pest Solutions a call today and discover the peace that comes with a cockroach-free Egg Harbor Township home.